Whip up this easy chocolate cake in honor of International Chocolate Day.
Did you know that September 13 (today!) is International Chocolate Day? That’s right, a whole day to celebrate the wonder that is chocolate. This flavor has been around for thousands of years and is still enjoyed by most today. In honor of today, whip up this delicious (and easy!) chocolate cake.
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 3/4 cup cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup unrefined sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- sweetener of choice to taste (e.g. powdered sugar)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F, and grease two 8-in square or round pans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Stir very well.
- In a new bowl, whisk the oil, applesauce, water, and vanilla. Pour wet into dry and stir until just combined (don’t over-mix). Pour into the greased pans.
- Bake on the center rack for 25 minutes or until batter has risen and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out mostly clean.
- Let it cool.
- When ready to frost, go around the sides with a knife, then invert each cake onto a large plate. Frost separately, then place one cake on top of the other if a double-layer cake is desired. At this point you can also frost the sides if you wish.
From the team at Sausman Insurance Agency, we hope that you enjoyed this recipe! Be sure to contact us for all of your insurance needs in Mifflintown, Millersburg, and Lewistown, Pennsylvania.