How to treat your heart right this February.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), heart disease is the leading cause of death in both men and women in the United States. While February is the month to think about candy and chocolate hearts, we invite you to follow these tips to keep your heart healthy and strong.
A healthy and balanced diet is at the heart of good heart health. Aim to:
- Eat a diet high in fiber, including fresh fruit and vegetables
- Cut down on animal products – These foods are the only ones that contain dietary cholesterol
- Switch to whole grain goods like oatmeal, brown rice, beans, and lentils
- Learn to read nutritional labels to avoid foods high in sodium and trans fat
Speak to a healthcare professional to start a new fitness routine. Set small goals and commit to them.
- Find your fitness fun – Learn whether you like exercise classes, running outside, hitting the gym or doing it with a friend. Exercise can be enjoyable so find out what you enjoy the most!
- Exercise for 30 minutes a day, at least 5 times a week
- Move more – take the stairs instead of the elevator, park your car further away from the store, and stand up when you can
Avoid Bad Habits
Lifestyle plays a large role in our overall health. You can either help or hinder it with daily activities.
- Quit smoking
- Replace soft drinks with water (or carbonated water if you are struggling to give it up)
- Substitute fried foods with baked or grilled choices
Staying heart healthy is essential for every individual. From the insurance experts at Sausman Insurance Agency, we hope that you stay cool this summer! Be sure to contact us for all of your insurance needs in Mifflintown, Millersburg, and Lewistown, Pennsylvania.